Graduate Software Developer – Remote or Office-Based
The Cortex Product Development Team requires graduate developers to join us on the exciting journey of creating the next generation of our Cortex Intelligent Automation platform.
The ideal candidates will be talented, flexible, enthusiastic UK-based individuals who recently graduated from University, or unhappy in their first role and looking for a change.
- Display a passion for software development
- Want to develop quickly
- Be happy working across the full software life-cycle and technology stack
- Enjoy working as part of an established Scrum team in a fast-paced ambitious business, and
- Want to make a difference in all they do!
The Cortex platform is used to automate processes ranging from fault management in telecoms environments to IT process automation for clients in the financial sector.
The core engine of the current platform is layered on a real-time expert system development and runtime environment called “G2”, but the platform also includes components built using a number of other Microsoft and web technologies, and the team are currently hard at work building the next generation of the platform from the ground up using .Net Core and a distributed, scalable, highly available microservices architecture, managed and deployed on Microsoft Service Fabric.
The successful applicant will get exposure to all of the following and more:
- Microsoft Service Fabric
- .Net Core/Framework
- ASP.NET Core
- ASP.NET MVC/WebAPI
Enjoy helping to frequently and regularly ship quality, valuable software to our Customers.
Other responsibilities include participation in:
- Scrum development team, including:
- Sprint Planning
- Daily Scrum
- Sprint Review (including demonstrating features to stakeholders)
- Sprint Retrospective (including facilitation)
- Feature refinement including:
- Capturing requirements
- Verifying requirements
- Validating requirements
- Estimating effort
- Full-stack development across all layers and tiers of our software product:
- Workflow engine
- Web Applications
- Full life-cycle development
- Test-driven development using Pair Programming
- Assistance to the Pre-Sales/Consultancy/Solutions Delivery teams including:
- Refinement of work
- Estimating effort
- Delivering work
- Assistance to the Service Desk team including:
- Triage of incidents
- Identifying workarounds
- Identifying hot fixes
- Identifying problems
- Suggesting and implementing improvements to the development team processes and toolsets
- Suggesting and implementing improvements to our Cortex platform
- Knowledge sharing between:
- Product Development team
- Other Cortex teams
- Keeping technical knowledge up-to-date
- Passing Professional Scrum Developer exam
- Passing selected Microsoft Accreditation(s)
Why join us?
We provide a dynamic working environment. Located in the heart of the Southampton city centre, our new, customised office has an informal break out space with pool table, and fruit, breakfast and coffee provided. There’s a great social scene across the organisation, with regular informal social events, company Christmas parties and summer BBQs (during non-pandemic times).
The Role of a Graduate Automation Project Engineer
The team works with partners and customers worldwide to deliver solutions, implementing the Cortex Intelligent Automation Software Platform in complex and varied environments.
The use cases for Intelligent Automation Software is wide ranging, from networks, IT operations, to business processes. Whilst the concepts and capabilities within platform deployments are repeatable, each application for different organisations is unique. We can guarantee that no two Intelligent Automation projects will be the same.
Automation Engineers are involved through the entire lifecycle of a project; from requirement capture, design, implementation, user acceptance testing to handover. You will get familiar with professional project management, as well as the IT infrastructure that enables our solutions.
Responsibility is given to members of the projects team very quickly, which leads to real opportunity – travel, customer-facing roles, and involvement with higher-level company objectives which interest you.